[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 01:10:43 UTC 2019

> the only way I see in the Wiki is to use the leaf_type=* tag

You can also use leaf_cycle= to tag deciduous vs evergreen, and also
semi-deciduous, semi-evergreen and mixed:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:leaf_cycle

This accounts for most types of woodland, along with leaf type. The rest
can be inferred from latitude (eg forest/wood in the tropics is clearly
tropical) and elevation (montane vs lowland rainforest) which is readily
available information.

Probably there is no need for mappers to tag elevation and latitude-related
distinctions.

The one thing that’s missing is a tag for the density of the main
vegetation type; is it a dense canopy of trees, or dense scrubland, verses
more widely spaced.

And there isn’t a way to tag a grassland with scattered shrubs or trees,
probably because this is not common in Northern Europe.