[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:18:09 UTC 2019

I'm not talking about large areas like the Black Forest, but smaller
forests such as Hondsbossen,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=sint-kathelijne-waver#map=17/51.07041/4.54562
Typically there is a map of the area near the entrances where the
exact area is shown. That map is similar to the one you see on
http://www.mechelsrivierengebied.be/index.php/natuurgebieden/natuurgebieden-sint-kat-waver/hondsbossen
For an ordinary mapper it might be difficult to map the exact extend,
but what about a government agency contributing to OSM ?

 In this case there is no lake in the middle, so no reason for a
multi-polygon. But in case there is a lake,  what do you do ?
Perhaps could map many of  them as protected areas, but that's
something we are investigating in the Belgian community.