[Tagging] Fwd: Re: Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:34:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 08:29, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> You may prefer to use landuse=logging or something that has a clear meaning
> rather than landuse=forestry to tag areas used primarily to grow wood.

Given the wikipedia page you pointed to earlier in the thread, I agree that
landuse=forestry is a bad idea (almost as bad as landuse=forest was).  What
I was after was a way of distinguishing a large area in which trees are
logged, part of which may currently have trees on it and part of which may
currently have stumps, or saplings, or scrub.  Something with defined
borders
which do not change from year to year and so will not have to have the
outline
changed every time newer aerial imagery comes along.  I agree that
landuse=logging is a far better tag than landuse=forestry.

So is it possible for us to agree on landuse=logging here as an alternative
landuse=forest?  To agree that dual-tagging is permissible until the day
that
landuse=logging is rendered in standard carto?  To agree that landuse=forest
be deprecated once landuse=logging is rendered?  To agree that, once
landuse=logging
is rendered, the wiki should say that landuse=logging + natural=wood can be
simplified to just landuse=logging when editing existing features that are
dual-tagged?

If we can agree to all that here (and, let's recognize that there's nothing
stopping anybody
using landuse=logging + natural=wood right now) do we need a formal
proposal or is
a "show of hands" here sufficient to allow it to be added to the wiki?

--
Paul