[Tagging] Fwd: Re: Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:16:03 UTC 2019

On 23/01/19 19:32, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> Jan 23, 2019, 9:10 AM by 61sundowner at gmail.com:
>
>     How are areas zoned/set aside to produce timber from trees to be
>     tagged?
>     The trees are not always there - like crops on a farm field.
>
> Not using landuse=forest and not landuse=forestry.
> landuse=growing_timber? landuse=logging?
>
>     so it meets the key landuse requirements.
>

> In OSM meaning of word used as key frequently has nearly no
> relation with meaning of tag.

let me just repeat that ...

"In OSM meaning of word used as key frequently has nearly no relation
with meaning of tag."

So in OSM the meaning of the tag "landuse=forestry" can be defined as
"An area used to provide tree produce for human consumption. "

It does not have to take on other meanings, whatever they might be.
Just as the OSM key "natural" does not take on my meaning of the word
"natural".

A tag "landuse=logging" only describes one activity of an area that
might provide timer for human use, it does not say it will be continued
to be used to provide timber - it could be an area being cleared for
residential use, or farming or ... whatever.