[Tagging] Fwd: Re: Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:32:21 UTC 2019

On 24/01/19 09:19, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 07:46, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com
> <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If we ever decide on an appropriate tagging scheme
>     (landuse=logging or landuse=forestry
>     + forestry=logging or whatever) and it gets rendered in some way
>     that is distinct from
>     natural= wood (say an axe icon at the centre) then it will be
>     useful for consumers.  Instead
>     of "There should/should not be trees there, we must be lost" it's
>     "Ah, that land is for logging
>     so there may or may not be trees there, so we may not be lost."
>

> Was mapping yesterday, put in an area, then when I started searching
> for the description, iD brought up one of it's totally inappropriate
> suggestions of clearcut:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dclearcut,
> together with a beautiful icon of a chainsaw! :-) A reword to say that
> this is an area dedicted to forestry / logging & may or may not be
> covered by trees at any time, may cover it?

No.
Not all tree harvesting is done by clear felling. Some are selectively
logged.

Not all areas are 'man_made', some are 'natural' at least to my view point.

>     From that perspective, maple trees for syrup are a different
>     problem.  Possibly still nice
>     to be able to map in some way,
>

> Would / could they be covered under =orchard:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dorchard
>
> I'll openly admit that I know nothing about how maple trees are grown
> - are they in a clump / plantation or spread out s individual trees
> through the woods?

There are also rubber trees, sandalwood, tea trees etc.

Most orchard trees are kept low for harvesting, that is what I expect to
find when I see one.  I think maple and rubber trees are a bit higher.