[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:51:01 UTC 2019

On 24/01/19 09:12, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:54 PM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The main OSM map renders grass, trees as solid colours, and residential areas too .. that is not good to me.
> Another example of the landuse/landcover confusion. We could make an
> argument that we need a landcover value for 'densely developed'. The
> US National Land Cover Dataset has several values for 'developed
> land', just as it has several values for 'forested' (based on leaf
> cycle) and several for 'farmland' (pasture, cropland, orchard,
> vineyard, etc.)
>
> It's possible, though rare, to have a residential land USE with a
> different land COVER - consider a small cluster of private houses on a
> densely wooded parcel. I've been somewhat at a loss how to map the
> combination, but it's just another example of the same problem: one is
> physical and topographical, one is human and social.

Off the subject but:

The density of things (houses, people, plants) is not something OSM does well or at all.

It would be usefull to know that a scrub area is so dense that it cannot be walked through,
yet another scrub area is so sparse that a fire cannot propagate without wind.
Even if those can be tagged, how would they be rendered?