[Tagging] Appropriate tagging for Redbox vending machines

Silent Spike silentspike100 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 23:27:04 UTC 2019

While looking to add appropriate "vending" tags into the name suggestion
index project <https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index> I came
across a US based Redbox vending machine brand.

I'm across the globe so not familiar with it personally, but reading the
wikipedia page <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbox> it seems to dispense
DVD and Blu-ray rentals. Unfortunately there's no clear "vending" tag for
this (the OSM wiki page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine>) so I
wanted to gather thoughts here as to what would be most appropriate (and
perhaps formalise this on the wiki).

Using overpass turbo I queried all the Redbox vending machines tagged with
"vending" and the most common value (57 occurrences) is "vending=dvd".
While this seems pretty appropriate, it's also not entirely accurate as it
sounds like they also provide blu-ray rentals (plus they can be movies or
games). All other values are variations of "movies", "media", "video_games"
or lists combining these.

However, there's also the question as to whether "vending" is even the
correct tag to use. An OSM help question from November 2012
<https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/17987/how-should-i-tag-a-redbox-dvd-blu-ray-and-video-game-rental-vending-machine>
on
this very subject receives a suggestion to use the "rental" tag instead (0
results using overpass turbo for Redbox machines with this tag).

Any thoughts are appreciated!