[Tagging] weight limit in short tons

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 22:54:58 UTC 2019

On 26/01/19 19:55, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Hey there, as I was illustrating the
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxweight
> article with some example signs and notes about pitfalls, I noticed that
> the wiki says here that the weight *must always* be defined in metric units.

It is incorrect. The reference to

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features/Units

does not state a requirement, that pages only states a default unit.

I think going back to 2014 it even then only states default units .. no requirement.

> So, I also added a row in the examples table about the short tons to
> metric tons conversion.
>
> But now, I am wondering, if the claim "As per Map Features:Units, as of
> September 2014 only metric units of weight (metric tonnes or kilograms)
> are supported for this tag." is not a mistake.
>
> Because...
> 1. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features/Units mentions "st"
> (short tons) as a unit
> 2. there is also "mph" for speed limits
> 3. it seems that this rule would unnecessarily complicate the mapping in
> the United States
>
> Does anyone know anything about (a decision) that the weight may only be
> specified in metric? Or was there a misinformed wiki-fiddler at work?

Possibly someone taking 'default unit' as a required unit?

In any case it needs correction.