[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:20:58 UTC 2019

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 at 10:37, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka at gmail.com> wrote:

> When drain and ditch were originally introduced, was it supposed to
> differentiate them in size?
> If you read the current definitions closely you can notice the following:

[...]

My guess is that this is a practical matter rather than a definitional
one.  If you need
a large channel with a lot of water flow (even intermittently) then you're
probably
going to line it with concrete.  And if it's a narrow channel with lower
water flow
you're probably not going to bother with the concrete.  Particularly if
it's for drainage
where you want the groundwater to seep into the channel.

Maybe reword the descrtiptions:  "Typically unlined, smaller" and
"typically lined, larger."

--
Paul