[Tagging] one feature one element

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 07:56:46 UTC 2019

The one feature page states:
More than one of something on the same site e.g. two schools sharing grounds. Normally if the schools are separate they would have separate neighbouring grounds, but if the only thing defining a separation between two schools is their buildings, then the containing area should be tagged with a suitable landuse=*, and the buildings tagged individually.

from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element#Examples_of_bad_situations

I don’t believe this is common practice, e.g. there isn’t even a landuse value for schools.
I would rather tag 2 schools with distinct buildings and shared grounds as 2 overlapping amenity=school areas with the “other buildings” (those of the other school) excluded via multipolygon inner roles.

If we did like currently suggested in the wiki it would also loose the information about the grounds (only the buildings would result as schools).

Cheers, Martin

sent from a phone