[Tagging] one feature one element

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 06:30:50 UTC 2019

>> *"For example, use the feature leisure=picnic_site with the property
>> tag drinking_water=yes, instead of using the separate feature tag
>> amenity=drinking_water on the same node or area."
>>
>> This example is a bad idea and mappers shouldn't be encouraged to do
>> so. amenity=drinking_water is far more popular tag and replacing it
>> with drinking_water=yes may hurt data consumers.
>
> I don't think it is an issue of replacing it. But where the location of
> the drinking water is unknown?

Right. It's great to map amenity=drinking_water on a node at the exact
position of a drinking fountain or water tap.

But if you want to say that a leisure=picnic_site has access to
drinking water without creating a separate node, then use the approved
and popular tag drinking_water=yes on the same area or node as the
picnic_site.

The key drinking_water has been used over 60,000 times and was
approved in a well-developed proposal back in 2014, so I picked this
example for the page.

But if there is a better example (eg atm=yes and amenity=atm?) feel
free to change it.