[Tagging] lit=yes/no threshold

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jul 6 11:40:40 UTC 2019

6 Jul 2019, 12:35 by colin.smale at xs4all.nl:

> What problem are you trying to fix here? Usually it is pretty obvious if a street has artificial lighting or not.

Unclear desired tagging for footways lit by spillover lighting. As I mentioned it is usually obvious
but there are cases where it is not clear.

For example https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/26116023#map=18/50.06730/19.88864 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/26116023#map=18/50.06730/19.88864>
is path on top of embankment, without own lighting, poorly lit by street lamps on a street below it.

Or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/238304937#map=16/50.0738/19.8891 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/238304937#map=16/50.0738/19.8891> - cycleway
along well lit road but so far away that lighting is poor and faint

Or https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/161706262#map=18/50.05869/19.91701 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/161706262#map=18/50.05869/19.91701> lit only by ambient
city light.

In most cases I already tagged something, but it would be nice to check whatever it is at least
sort-of similar to what others would map.

> Instead of creating artificial boundaries quantising shades of grey into black and white, why not make it more objective and record the light level in lux on the centre line of the road?

It is not feasible to do for a typical mapper to record "light level in lux".

> Also, don't forget that whether a road is "lit" or not has consequences for traffic regulations, at least in the UK. There is a specific definition associated with this.

I found it,

"A road's speed limit is 30 mph (48 km/h) if the road's street lights are "[not placed]
more than 200 yards apart" in England <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England> and Wales <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales> or "not more than 185 metres" in Scotland <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland>;"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limits_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-80 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_speed_limits_in_the_United_Kingdom#cite_note-80>

but it is not helping with problem what would be a good threshold between lit=yes and lit=no
on footways

> My vote is to leave lit=* alone!

So it is preferable that everyone has their own definition of what is lit=no/yes and
 recommend that "in case of doubt is it lit=yes or lit=no feel free to choose either"?