[Tagging] lit=yes/no threshold

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 12:38:12 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 6. Jul 2019, at 14:07, Tobias Zwick <osm at westnordost.de> wrote:
>
> The least subjective definition is to map the physical presence of street lanterns on the way, not the light they emit. (This definition (though) would mean that a footway close to a lit street would be mapped as unlit as long as it does not have own lanterns.)

the presence of street lights indicates the road could be lit, it has no implications whether it is actually lit. For example last summer I went to an island where all streets had relatively new street lights, but half the island they kept them off so that light pollution was reduced.

In small villages in Germany, street lights are often turned off at a certain time (e.g. after 23h), etc.

Cheers, Martin