[Tagging] JOSM's "suspicious" path data warnings

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 13:08:13 UTC 2019

On 06/07/2019 13:59, Dave F via Tagging wrote:
> Hi
> Unsure if these validation warnings on uploading a changeset in JOSM
> are new or I've never noticed them before:
>
> >"Suspicious tag combination highway=cycleway together with
> foot=designated, use highway=path"
>
>     This is incorrect. A cycleway tag can be used on a shared path,
> one which can have a designation for other
>     transport modes, such as a Public Right of Way for walkers.

Where any editor gives incorrect suggestions I'd suggest raising a
ticket with the editor concerned about it.  I've done that a couple of
times in the past with JOSM and the issues have been resolved almost
immediately.

Obviously it helps to provide a bit of background as to why and in what
circumstances a particular suggestion is incorrect.

Best Regards,

Andy