[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - waterway=tidal_channel

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 23:51:40 UTC 2019

On 07/07/19 00:38, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> How are handled the concepts of intermittence and direction of the flow in
>> the tagging?
>> Should we use intermittent=yes and direction=both, or are they implied by
>> waterway=tidal_channel?
>> ...only recommend the use of intermittent=yes on
>> channels which are fully empty at low tide time.
> Thank you for bringing this up
>
> I agree that most tidal channels are not intermittent, because they
> tend to have a small amount of water flowing towards the sea at low
> tide. It could be reasonable to use intermittent=yes on small tidal
> channels that are completely dry at low tide.

These area of no water at low tide could be better mapped if OSM had a method for tagging the low tide mark.
Would be handy for some beaches, particularly where the tide is large and the area has a small slope creating a large area between high and low tides.

> Bidirectional water flow (that is, the direction of water flow
> reverses at different times in the tidal cycle) should be implied by
> the tag waterway=tidal_channel, though there may be rare exceptions.annel'.

If the flow is not 'tidal' then it should not be tagged 'tidal_channel". No exceptions?