[Tagging] Rethinking Map Features

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 00:42:32 UTC 2019

>From the talk page:

>I propose to tackle the varying quality of this page in different languages by changing Map
>Features to a single multilingual page that outputs its text in the user’s preferred interface
>language.

>The tag tables can be generated from Taginfo/Taglists. For the best results it should be
>possible to set the description of each tag in each language ahead of writing a long-form
>documentation page.

>The introduction becomes a translatable {{int:…}} string, the message for each language
>transcluding a template of the actual introduction.

>The section headings and table headers also become {{int:…}} messages.

>--Andrew (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)

>Generating the tables from taginfo taglists is a good idea. But {{int:…}} would require the
>translations to live in the MediaWiki: namespace, which is only editable by administrators.'
>While that's reasonable for widely used templates, elements like the introduction to this
>page are only relevant to a single page. If we rely on taginfo taglists, then there's not as
>much to translate manually as part of the page anyways. – Minh Nguyễn 💬 22:06, 6 July
>2019 (UTC)

I partially agree with Minh's comments. It would be easier to maintain
the page if the descriptions came directly from the description=*
field in the ValueDescription box on each Tag page. This would also
make it clear that a feature can't be added to Map Features without a
wiki page (something that happens surprisingly often).

I've been trying to updated the translated Indonesian Map Features
page. The biggest problem is that you need to check each of the newly
added features on the English page to check if they are actually
approved or de facto tags, rather than a new tag that was added
without discussion. I've already removed a number of tags from the
amenities section that were added without discussion in the past 2
years, but there are several more that should be discussed and status
changed to "De facto"'

My understanding is that tags on the Map Features page should be
status = De facto or status = approved, for consistency.

Perhaps it's possible to include an icon or text column on the Map
Features page that states the status of each tag, Approved, De facto,
In use, Proposed etc.? This would make it easier to find tags that
still need discussion

Joseph