[Tagging] Removing an ATM

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 15:00:26 UTC 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 15:43, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/07/2019 15:27, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> Not really.  They don't get rendered (on standard carto).
>
> ... but depending on the feature, they may do elsewhere.

Indeed.  That's why I added the proviso about standard carto.
OpenRailwayMap renders
disused/abandoned railways.  As does (for unknown reasons) French carto.
And anything that
is tagged can be rendered by uMap with appropriate overpass-turbo queries.

Plenty of other "disused / no longer useful for the original purpose" are
> major landscape features that deserve to be recorded, and sometimes the
> best tag really is disused:foo=bar.

There are cases where I've used disused=yes rather than disused:foo=bar.
It is fairly standard
on UK maps in general to render, or at least label, disused quarries.
Because they're holes in
the ground, can present hazards, and may be of use for navigation.  So in
this particular case
I prefer landuse=quarry + disused=yes to disused:landuse=quarry.  A working
quarry observed
on a Sunday may be difficult to distinguish from a disused quarry.  Tagging
for the renderer
or choosing between valid alternative tagging schemes?  I tag, you decide.

--
Paul