[Tagging] Clashing access tags

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 14 19:03:27 UTC 2019

On 14/07/2019 13:07, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Occasionally I encounter tag combinations like this:
>
>     bicycle=designated
>     highway=proposed
>
>     (from https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/335831004)
>
> where the "bikes can ride along here" of the first tag is contradicted
> by the "this hasn't even been built yet" of the second.

No. it doesn't. Highway is the primary tag. It usurps sub-tags which are
merely adjectives of the primary.
When it has been completed it will be designated for use by bicycles.

> Similarly, on occasion I've found ways which are tagged access=no
> ("nothing is allowed along here") but are part of a bike route
> relation ("bikes can ride along here").

Route relations should be aware of tags on ways. access=no can be used
in part to indicate road works.
Just because a way may be inaccessible to bikes doesn't mean it's not
still officially regarded as a cycle route (the NCN ref won't be removed)

DaveF