[Tagging] track smoothness/quality

Szem szembiketeam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 19:01:03 UTC 2019

2019.07.09. Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> smoothness= is a horrible tag, please don't use it.
>
> There is no consensus as to whether the smoothness tags are
> relative to the tagged/implicit surface or not: is it possible to have
> smoothness=excellent for an excellently smooth gravel surface?

I disagree with this and e.g. excellent gravel is impossible. The
defintion of excellent road to use it with a (thin_rollers) roller
blade, skate board (see wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness)
I've made a small table of surfaces and smoothness
(https://i.ibb.co/Nyfg179/Surfaces-and-tracktypes.png). A road can
really only be characterized by the combined value of surface and
smoothness, even on clear surfaces such as asphalt.
If only the asphalt value is given, we expect this:
(https://i.ibb.co/7SxsJQN/Asphalt-Excellent.jpg), but it is also asphalt
(https://i.ibb.co/SPSQyyC/Asphalt-Bad.jpg) Believe me, after 12
kilometers of cycling, there is a big difference...
There may be even greater differences in unpaved roads. A general dirt
road (surfaces=ground) is something like that
(https://i.ibb.co/mh99rzF/Ground-Bad.jpg), but it may be better
(https://i.ibb.co/xqgwNSc/Ground-Intermediate.jpg), or even much much
worse (https://i.ibb.co/P9TtGz3/Ground-Very-horrible.jpg).
The tracktype is useful for predicting differences in dry and rainy
weather. A grade1 road basically does not change after heavy rain, but a
grade5 (smoothness=good in dry condtion) can become inaccessible (see
this table: https://i.ibb.co/w62QWTX/Changing-of-the-smoothness.png).
and adirt road (surfaces=ground) could be grade3, grade4 or even grade5!
It may be difficult to specify the three different values, especially if
they are given subjectively. Definitions in the wiki are mostly quite
accurate, but it would be useful to define the values ​​more clearly
avoid creating bad pairs of values (e.g. surfaces=ground with
tracktype=grade2 or surfaces=fine_gravel with smoothness=good)

Szem