[Tagging] How owing to FlightRadar24 to follow the Tour de France on a less straight route

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 13:28:52 UTC 2019

On 12/07/2019 18.55, André Pirard wrote:

> Comment avec FlightRadar24 suivre les avions plutôt que les vélos du
> Tour de France.
> <https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/how-the-tour-de-france-goes-from-cycle-to-screen/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email>
>
> How owing to FlightRadar24 <https://www.flightradar24.com/> to follow
> the Tour de France on a route
> <https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/how-the-tour-de-france-goes-from-cycle-to-screen/?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email>
> less straight than that of the bikes and than OSM's.
> You may right click the video and select "iframe in a new tab" for a
> larger view.
>
> You should probably be able to use Flightradar24
> <https://www.flightradar24.com/> and see the planes live if you manage
> to point it where they are
> <https://www.velowire.com/article/1043/fr/le-parcours-du-tour-de-france-2018-sur-google-maps-google-earth--itineraires-horaires-et-profils-des-etapes.html>.
>
> Please forward this to other lists.
This will be my last message about this.
On this 2019-07-15 at around 17:00, I turned FlightRadar24.com
<https://www.flightradar24.com/44.56,3.51/8> on to show the route of the
10th stage of the Tour de France: Saint-Flour -> Albi
<https://www.letour.fr/fr/etape-10>.
I clicked a few planes along the route until I pinned one that FR24
labels with a made-up name BE20. It circled in rounds all along he
track, probably to relay TV signals. You will probably be able to watch
it during the next stages. (⚠ Tuesday 16 is resting day). Unfortunately,
albeit F24 archives the history of most flights for replay, it does not
archive this plane, like e.g. most gliders.
Then I waited until BE20 went nanight in Castres Mazamet Airport
<https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/dcm> to take this picture.
Beware that the pasted over data is that when the plane was above Albi.
In Castres it was less high and going down. And it had a more decided
speed ;-)

I thought that this could add loving to watch planes to your loving to
map the land under.
For example, replay the history of this service plane
<https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oo-let/> and wonder why it
goes to those places all over the world to fly in circles. Similar trips
for this helicopter
<https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-gkmb#21364fc1> that I
found in Albi, Lyon, Brussels near the Tour de France.

All the best,
Cordialement,
Amitiés,

*𓄿*