[Tagging] Sluice gate vs valve (was Re: Reviewing wiki pages - Tag:landcover=greenery, Tag:waterway=sluice gate, Tag:landcover=water, Tag:landcover=shrubs, Tag:landcover=sand, Tag:waterway=slReviewing wiki pages - Tag:landcover=water, Tag:landcover=shrubs, Tag:landcover=greenery, Tag:landcover=sand, Natural landscape, Exceptional trafficuice gate, Natural landscape, Exceptional traffic)

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 08:16:37 UTC 2019

Hi Marc,

Le jeu. 18 juil. 2019 à 07:48, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Is the second picture a valve ?
> https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-sluice-gate.htm  This page calls it
> sluice gate. I'm not familiar with the terminology, so perhaps experts
> can enlighten me.

Functionally a valve regulates the flow of a fluid in a given duct. Such a
definition would match the gates this topic is about

A piping gate valve involves a sluice which moves in and out the full flow

Usually, a valve can't be overflowed as it's often about pressurised piping.
In case of openflow canals water may flood surroundings, but IMHO big gates
can still be called a valve according to definition.
Wikipedia states that "Valves have many uses, including controlling water
for irrigation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrigation>" then imply valve
terminology would be suitable for canals.

In French valve is translated in "vanne" and refers to both kind of devices
(piping and water ways)

All the best

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20190718/11da7d78/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list