[Tagging] Tagging of State Parks in the US

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 21:17:25 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 12:10 AM Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> For your New York State park examples, protect_class=21 might be the best option, so go ahead and add this tagging, in addition to tagging any specific areas within that qualify as a leisure=park or nature_reserve
>
> But many State parks on the West Coast are similar to national parks, eg many State parks in Oregon, Washington and California are protected because they are areas of outstanding natural beauty. Silver Falls in Oregon is a good example

Of course.  "If it quacks like a duck..."

I've made elsewhere the case that the Adirondack and Catskill Parks in
New York deserve 'boundary=national_park' even though they are state
entities, using the same "it quacks like a duck" argument.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ke9tv/diary/390233  I suspect
strongly that the state parks that behave like 'national_park' are the
exception rather than the rule, but 'nature protected area'
protect_classes are entirely reasonable if that's the park's function.
I just don't very much like seeing baseball diamonds, swimming
beaches, or band shells inside leisure=nature_reserve. (Nobody does,
which is why the problem of 'what OTHER tagging can we use for these
things' has triggered so much controversy.)