[Tagging] Tagging remain of extinct volcanoes

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 01:11:31 UTC 2019

A natural=volcano is suppose to be a volcanic vent, usually found at the
center of a crater.

While it’s common to misuse this tag to mark the highest peak of a mountain
of volcanic origin, it would be best to use it for the actual center of the
volcanic vent, and use natural=peak for the high point.

Some recently extinct volcanoes might have a visible crater wall or an open
vent, is they are low elevation or latitude in areas without glaciers or
heavy rainfall (extinct craters usually erode quickly). But it would be
most verifiable if only volcanic vents with clear signs of recent activity
are tagged.

An eroded remnant of a volcano in Germany which hardly looks like a crater
should not be tagged natural=volcano, since the classification as a volcano
is based on fieldwork by professional geologists and can’t be confirmed by
regular mappers.

Extinct volcanoes might get a tag that could be attached to a natural=peak
node; e.g.natural=peak +
volcano:status=extinct

Joseph