[Tagging] New page "Approval status" for "de facto", "in use", "approved" etc

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 08:03:44 UTC 2019

Good point about "deprecated" and "obsolete".

The status "deprecated" is much more common; it's been used 115 times
and has a well-used list:

But "obsolete" is only used 6 times, and seems to mean the same thing
as "deprecated". Perhaps we can just edit these 6 features and remove
the status to simplify things?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Tag_descriptions_with_status_%22obsolete%22

Also, I've also only been able to find one wiki page with
status=discardable - Tag:odbl=clean - so I think we can just change
this tag status to "deprecated" and remove the special status for this
one tag? https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Tag_descriptions_with_status_%22discardable%22

Re: when to mark a tag as deprecated:

Ideally there should be a proposal approved which clearly states that
a certain tag will be deprecated and another tag approved, but there
appear to be a number of tags that are marked as "deprecated" due to
some discussion but not a full vote.

In other cases it appears that deprecation was intended (eg
amenity=embassy), but the tag is still commonly used and supported
since the proposal was just approved.

Perhaps there should be a wiki page created that described the process
for deprecating a tag and when to change the status?

Joseph