[Tagging] New page "Approval status" for "de facto", "in use", "approved" etc

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 11:50:26 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 28. Jul 2019, at 11:12, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
>
> ultimately
> means recommended by those who have dominance over editing the wiki

who are they? Everybody can modify the wiki (and indeed from my experience the wiki is more the sum of many individual, punctual and sometimes even disconnected edits and additions, than it is the result of an orchestrated effort by a small group of self-elected dominators). When there are disputes about edits they are usually brought to discussion on the mailing lists and “forums”, and if you decide not to participate in any of this, you will have to live with what the others do (not speaking about you, Christoph, personally). Joseph didn’t introduce the tag status concept, he is only trying to improve the documentation and find the common understanding of what these “statuses” mean and how they are assigned, which should make it easier for newcomers to engage in the discussions about topics they care for.

> In contrast to the verbalized
> documentation of tags - which can exist in any language or set of
> languages independent of each others the idea of a tag status is that
> of a single status defined by authority over the global OSM community.

I believe it is desirable to have a single status and meaning for a tag. The project scope is global and there is no need to re-use the same tag for a different meaning or insist on deprecation of a tag that is significantly used in some other areas and works for those who use it. Just use a different or additional tag for your specific meaning. Ultimately it isn’t a huge issue if occasionally different tags are used for the same or very similar feature class or property, but it is an issue if the same tag is defined differently in different languages. This does not exclude that the same tag may have a specific meaning just for an explicitly defined area (e.g. uk crossing shortcuts), or that it could not shift with the time.

Cheers Martin