[Tagging] Specific tag for Satellite Dishes

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 06:19:04 UTC 2019

I looked into this myself, back when I noticed that some large dishes
were mistagged as radio telescopes.

For huge communications dishes, there is tower:construction=dish to be
used with man_made=tower and we even have a satellite-dish style
rendering for this at Openstreetmap-carto, for some reason. This
should probably only be used for "tower"-sized dishes, not small
household ones?

For smaller satellite dishes, there is man_made=satellite_dish -
documented at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dsatellite_dish
- but note it is suggested that "This attribute is not suitable for
private house antennas". I think this tag might be suitable for very
large dishes too.

Joseph