[Tagging] Tagging of State Parks in the US

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 08:27:42 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

On 29. Jul 2019, at 01:18, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Putting on my cynic hat, I'd say you'll probably get too many objections for it to happen:
>> people will say you have to manually ensure area=yes is actually valid in each situation;
>
> Yeah. Although, how can a protected_AREA be anything but an area?

+1, I don’t see why we would need area=yes on boundary=protected_area

It also seems weird that a node is suitable according to the wiki:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

but this is a general semantic problem we have with all boundaries (a boundary is a linear object, what it delimits is an area, which is somehow implicit through the boundaries, but when we describe the area inside with tags we add these directly to the boundary object, rather than to an area object with the boundaries as limits).

Anyway, area=yes seems superfluous as we are always speaking about areas in this context, even if they are represented as a node.

Cheers Martin