[Tagging] Charging stations: socket:<type>:output -- which format for the value?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:53:50 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 29. Juli 2019 um 12:39 Uhr schrieb dktue <email at daniel-korn.de>:

> Hello,
>
> the OSM-Wiki-page on charging stations [1] defines the tag
> socket:<type>:output=watt
>
> wheres the examples contain values like "22 kW".
>
> What would the preferred format be? "22000" or "22 kW"? I would like to
> clearify this on the wiki-page.
>
> Personally I would prefer "22000" as it fits with other OSM-values (no
> units).

generally people are encouraged to add units for disambiguation reasons and
to use locally used units and preferably SI units.

For power, no default units are currently specified on this page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features/Units

And it doesn't even mention horsepower for power, a unit that for many
people may be more evocative than Watt (everybody can imagine 30 horses,
but how much are 22 kW?) ;-)

Personally, if we were to set up a default for power units, I would prefer
kW, because if we'd use Watt we will get very high numbers for MW (e.g.
needed for power generators). Presuming, we would have the same standard
unit for all things power, and not different defaults for socket and say
power stations.

Cheers,
Martin