[Tagging] Are disused=yes and abandoned=yes deprecated by disused:key=value & abandoned:key=value?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jul 29 12:53:23 UTC 2019

29 Jul 2019, 14:05 by pla16021 at gmail.com:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 07:24, Joseph Eisenberg <> joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> > wrote:
>

>> I see that there was just a mention added that landuse=quarry plus
>>  disused=yes might be more sensible than disused:landuse=quarry.
>>

> It applies to more than just quarries.  The problem is that the namespaced version, when
> applied to physical objects, renders them invisible (on standard carto).

Is there a case where making it visible would actually be useful?

For quarries or buildings disused/abandoned status is a property and is not changing
feature so it makes sense to use disused=yes and abandoned=yes.

Disuses building is still a building, only once it starts turning into ruin it
gets more questionable.

In case of shops it is fundamentally different - disused shop is no longer a shop.
If someone really wants to tag it (may to protect against accidental remapping
then disused:shop=* is preferable (and it makes no sense to render it in most cases)

> Some people with what I view as an over-strict interpretation of rules may say that's
> mapping the history of the thing and OSM doesn't map history, but I ignore them.

Is there some trace of the pub (maybe sign?) or danger of incorrect remapping?
Then it makes sense to keep it.

Though in cases where no trace is left I would delete it (yes, OSM doesn't map history).

> However, there are several buildings in my town that are clearly disused.  Peeling paintwork,
> broken windows, no sign of activity for many years.  If I use disused:building=yes they
> vanish from the map but they're observable in reality, which means the map doesn't
> show something that is physically present.  Using disused=yes is a way around this.
> Call it tagging for the renderer if you want, but it's not lying for the renderer.

I would argue that disused=yes is preferable tagging for such feature and that it
is desirable for renderers and editors to encourage it.