[Tagging] Was public_transport=platform intended to always be combined with highway=bus_stop?

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 09:41:21 UTC 2019

duplicating information across multiple objects.

I found that what works best is to have nodes on the side of the road to
represent the stops. These nodes have positional information and can carry
all the tags for the details.

If there is an actual elevated platform, it can be represented by a way or
an area, but I don't see any need to move the details tags from the node to
that area. Nor do I see a need to move them to a shelter area, if there is
one, or to a bench or a waste basket that has the typical colours of the
operator. For these ways / areas highway=platform / railway = platform is
enough. Additional tags can be wheelchair yes, tactile_paving=yes and maybe
height.

The platfrorms are just additional features that may be there, or not.

When I still had the idea that one day public_transport=platform /
stop_position would actually supersede highway=bus_stop / railway=tram_stop
/ station and so on, I started adding bus = yes to the pt=platform nodes.
Now I see less point into continuing to do so. The only advantage it has,
is that JOSM will automatcially assign platform roles to such nodes.

Nowadays, I'd say let's indeed drop the whole public_transport schema.
Somewhat radical, but a simple schema is better than a complex one.

Polyglot