[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 07:20:53 UTC 2019

On 31/07/19 16:45, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> Based on current practice, it seems that most people are ok with
> adding new values to certain keys that already have a long list of
> documented values in map features, as long as the tag is frequently
> used and well-documented?
>
> The relevant keys appear to be:
>
> craft=
> building=
> office=
> shop=
> sport=
>
> Are there any others that don't need a proposal to add a new value to
> Map Features?

There is no requirement for a proposal for values or keys of any kind.
A proposal is at best a 'recommendation', not a 'requirement'.

"Any tag you like" is one of the OSM mantras.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like

It is 'desirable' to consult others before creating new values or keys as this can lead to a better tag. But there is no requirement.

> I'd like to mention this at the end of the Proposal Process page, as
> the final lines of "Non-proposed features" like this:
>
> "Generally, new [keys] should always be discussed before being added
> to [Map features], and new tags in major keys like "highway=" should
> be formally proposed. A proposal is also recommended for any new tag
> which replaces an existing tag.
>
> "However, if a tag is commonly used and clearly documented in the
> wiki, and does not replace an existing tag, new values for certain
> keys with can be added without a proposal to these keys: craft=,
> building=, office=, shop= and sport=. Please discuss the new tag in a
> public forum before adding to Map Features."
>
> Does everyone agree with this wording?

Err No. It is misleading to say "new values for certain keys with can be added without a proposal" as new values can be add to any key without a proposal.
Indeed new keys can be added without a proposal.