[Tagging] Charging stations: socket:<type>:output -- which format for the value?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 07:34:11 UTC 2019

On 31/07/19 01:39, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> The tag socket:<type>:output has been used 5000 times, so I think it's
> best to describe existing usage on the wiki. The current usage is to
> tag the units, which are almost always kW:
>
> socket:type2:output has been used 3663 times, and the majority (>70%)
> are tagged with 22kW, 22 kW, 43kW and 11 kW - they all have kW after
> the number, but the presence of a space is variable.
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/socket%3Atype2%3Aoutput#values
>
> socket:chademo:output has been used 1 275 times, and 91% are tagged
> 50kW or 50 kW - there are 12 with 50000 and 11 with 50 and no units
> (0.1% each).
>
> socket:schuko:output has been used 1 306 times and 80% are tagged
> 3.6kW, with another 11% tagged 3.7␣kW - all but one common value
> included kW as a unit (3700 is used 11 times; 0.1%).
>
> socket:typee:output has been used 128 times, and 84% area tagged "3
> kW", none have no units.
>
> socket:type1:output is used 83 times, all values end with "kW"
>
> socket:tesla_supercharger:output is used 72 times, all values end with
> "kW" except 2 (one is 120000, the other 120).
>
> So 99% have the format "<number>kW" or "<number> kW" with a space.
>
> I think the wiki should state that the output is specified in kW and
> the unit is specified, to match current usage.

Err the wiki could state the default is kW.
There is no present default unit for power - see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features/Units#Default_units
Adding a default would be good, and kW is probably the most universal in this case, but for power generation MW is more universal.

And the wiki could also state that a space is required between the numeric values and the units, if any.
This is the case for all other units so the convention should be held.