[Tagging] Keys to which new values can be added without a proposal: craft=, shop=, building=, office=, sport=?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 08:50:38 UTC 2019

I apologize for the unclear wording. I'm not asking if a proposal is
needed for creating a new key or value. Anyone can make up a new tag,
and this happens hundreds of times a day.

I'm asking:

when should a new value should be added to the wiki page "Map Features".

The idea is that for a key like "shop=" or "office=", the key itself
is enough to define the feature for most purposes. Most map makers or
apps will just show one icon for all or most types of shop, and for
most types of office, so it's probably fine if users add more of these
to Map Features under "Shop" and "Office" - it won't cause any
problems.

Probably it still should be mentioned in a public forum at least once,
but a proposal would be a bit of a waste of time for a specialty tag
"shop=fountain_pens" (a shop specializing in selling fountain pens).

In contrast, I wouldn't have added "waterway=tidal_channel" to the 3
existing natural waterway types on Map Features without an approved
proposal, since that would be a major change to the whole tagging
system for waterways which requires community discussion.