[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:golf=cartpath

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 06:15:35 UTC 2019

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 23:43, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see a golf cart path on a golf course as being a highway as most
> people understand
> the word.

I'd agree with you there

Now for an expert golfer to chip in (hah!)

That I certainly aren't! (haven't played the game since my teens, & that's
a loooonnnngggg way back :-()

> and tell me how I have it completely wrong.

Actually a mixture of right & wrong :-)

> I am still unsure that golf cart paths on golf courses actually exist: my
> (very) limited
> understanding is that there are large areas of the course where carts can
> travel with limited
> exclusion zones (such as the greens).  I don't think there are (on most
> courses) delineated
> paths (there may be minor cases on any given course, but for the most part
> it's an area with holes
> in).

Most major courses that I have seen, have a sort of ring-road for carts to
use, such as:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-28.0702041,153.4260948,3a,19.4y,-17.09h,84.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smf0mQIhwAHe55oaaeMU1RQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My understanding is that you use the path to get up close to your ball,
then drive out onto the fairway to take your stroke, then back to the path
& so on, but I've also seen carts driving happily down the middle of the
fairway, so I guess it may be optional, probably depending on Club rules?

As you said though, greens are definitely out-of-bounds :-), as well as
bunkers.

There will also usually (?) be a garage facility of some sort to store
carts that people leave at the Club, or that the Club owns & hires out. I
guess they would then be building=garage/s? Would they also need a
golf_cart tag?

Thanks

Graeme