[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Jun 2 08:47:42 UTC 2019

As a reader of this list I'm slightly overwhelmed by it right now.

Besides the longish off topic discussions that should have been held
somewhere else, we've had a massive increase in the number of proposals
and comments on these. As these typically will require looking at the
proposal, potentially commenting on its talk page and here, the increase
in noise has led to even a cursory examination of proposals for obvious
flaws (see the police proposal) not being possible at the current rate
of a new proposal every second day.

In the interest of keeping the list at least half usable, I would
suggest that we all, starting now, voluntarily submit to:

- not posting more than 30 times per month (the 30 comes from the WMF
mailing lists, where it seems to work quite well)

- not more than one proposal per person per month

- not more than 4 new proposals per month in total

Simon