[Tagging] A modest proposal to increase the usefulness of the tagging list

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 12:45:20 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 13:39, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> On 6/2/19 13:17, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> > Note there have been in the past opinions that documenting a new tag
> > without creating a proposal is not desirable
>
> That is also my opinion, however, I don't see anything wrong with
> someone just "trying out" a tag in the "any tags you like" spirit
> without documenting it. (Or, if desperately needed, documenting it only
> on their private user page.)

I have come to the conclusion (possibly a wrong conclusion) that this list
isn't about
enforcement but about advice.  The spirit of OSM is that you CAN create any
tag you want.
However, discussing it here and then making a proposal (that is approved)
means you're
more likely to create a tag that isn't problematic in some way.

--
Paul