[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - waterway=tidal_channel

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 06:00:04 UTC 2019

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:waterway%3Dtidal_channel

As discussed back in September 2018, we need another tag for tidal
channels, also known as "pills" or "tidal creeks"

These are natural tidal waterways within the coastal, environment with
bi-directional flow of salt water, so they are not a stream or river
estuary. They should be located outside of the coastline.

Such channels commonly form along protected coasts with limited wave
action and a gradual slope, usually within tidal flats, salt marshes
or mangroves.

Examples:
1) Wöhrdener Loch - tidal channel in mud flats:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/401730966

2) Barbara Channel - channel in mud flats:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/694300595

3) Cabbage Creek - tidal creek in salt marsh:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/121698431

4) Tidal channel in mangroves:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/694868357

Image:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Mangroves-tidal-channels-josm-example-5km-4km-papua-indonesia.png

See the whole proposal with more images and explanation:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:waterway%3Dtidal_channel

Please comment here or on the talk page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Tag:waterway%3Dtidal_channel

- Joseph Eisenberg

PS: Sorry, Simon - last one this month - but I did map several hundred
of these myself - lots of mangroves here.