[Tagging] Complicated traffic light combinations

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:58:40 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've just mapped the traffic lights for a river crossing in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/71005300 (Elvington in
Yorkshire, England).  There are at least 6 different sets of lights,
some to control car traffic only, some cycle traffic only, some a
combination (including in some cases also horse traffic). Some lights
are button controlled (buttons exist for cars, horse riders and
cyclists).  I've tried to follow the "tag all incoming ways" example at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtraffic_signals .

All of the ways where signals are are shared between car, horse and
cycle traffic.  There's the remains of a paint line on the road over the
bridge which is supposed to indicate a cycle lane (I think).
Pedestrians just have to take their chances - there are a couple of
stone refuges on the bridge for them to hide dip into out of the way of
cars.  All of the buttons and lights are geared to allow people in
whatever mode of transport to get across the bridge; none of them are
for non-car traffic to cross the road. There may be ASLs for cyclists at
one set of lights either side of the bridge, but unfortunately I can't
remember and don't have notes on it.

Along with which direction the light points and what traffic it is
designed to control I've added the button info only as note tags at this
stage, but is there a better way of doing this?

Best Regards,

Andy