[Tagging] refugee camp

Jan S grimpeur78 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 13:56:42 UTC 2019

Am 6. Juni 2019 23:27:37 MESZ schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>:
>On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 04:34, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:
>

>> There are 40 instances of social_facility=refugee_camp, and 18 of
>> social_facility=refugee_housing.
>> For the primary tag you could go with social_facility=group_home or
>> social_facility=shelter, but they don't seem quite right.
>

>> I'd suggest something like social_facility=temporary_housing.
>>

>To me, social_facility doesn't quite cut it for "refugees". Refugees
>strike
>me as people fleeing from war / massive natural disaster -
>social_facility
>comes across as small scale for homeless people / women's refuge sort
>of
>thing?

Hi. IMO social_facility sounds appropriate. Refugee camps are basically housing for people in distress, just as is the case for homeless shelters or women's shelters. I don't think the reason why people are in distress or the number of people affected makes a difference. What's decisive is the vocation of the facility, which is to provide a service offered by society for people in need.

We should then make further differences as to the type of refugee shelter, e.g. social_facility=camp, social_facility:for=refugees (or migrants?) or social_facility=group_home, social_group:for=refugees/migrants in case of solid structures dedicated to recently arrived migrants.

Best, Jan