[Tagging] Splitting places and hosted devices in mapping

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jun 8 16:39:55 UTC 2019

7 Jun 2019, 19:48 by okosm at johnfreed.com:

> I believe the key phrase is "single-use" in the sentence you cite. That is, for instance, if you have a building that is a café (tagged as building=yes) with a node inside it with the details of the café (name=Rick's Cafe; amenity=cafe), then you should move the tags from the node to the area and eliminate the node.

It is commonly done but I would not recommend this.

It is causing problems because there is no good way to distinguish whatever tags apply
to building, POI or both.

For examples of problems see:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3487 <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3487>
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3472