[Tagging] Splitting places and hosted devices in mapping

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 8 16:52:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-08 18:08, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:

> Specifically on the topic, a converter hall will never have only one feature inside : you'll find the converter, but cooling and auxiliary power stuff also, and all that world should get individual features
>
>> By the way, your last example:
>> No tag specifies the output voltage in your example. As I read other related pages, I think it should be tagged:
>> voltage:primary=63000
>> voltage:secondary=1500
>
> The example deals with the substation, not with the involved devices (and voltage:primary is a device property)
> power=converter objects will certainly have voltage:primary and voltage:secondary, not the substation (and mixing them would make power=substation and voltage:primary apparently compatible while they aren't, no exceptions)
> Furthermore, tagging voltage on the substation is a bad idea, only useful to ease renders assuming the size of the facility based on the highest voltage involved.

There are all kinds of converter functions, and changing the voltage is
only one of them. Primary and secondary are only really applicable to
certain types of transformers. Each "converter" has its own transfer
function, and I don't think it would be a good idea to limit the
discussion to a single class of converter.

Transformers come in shapes and sizes; besides changing voltage, they
can change the number of phases, upset the power factor, and do phase
shifting. Rectifiers are similarly diverse. Motor-generators can do all
of the above, and change the frequency as well. Even if the output
characteristics are equal to the input, there may be useful things going
on, such as decoupling or PF correction.

If we want to describe the overall transfer function of the whole
"building", then we need to describe the input and output
characteristics, and some aspects of the path from input to output. Just
stating a couple of voltages doesn't do justice to the potential
complexity of the overall function of the "building".