[Tagging] landuse=reservoir vs water=reservoir

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 23:51:41 UTC 2019

On 11/06/19 19:30, marc marc wrote:
> Le 11.06.19 à 11:14, Tomas Straupis a écrit :
>>     What do you think?
> I find very strange that reservoir is a landuse by itself
> it would be a bit like putting landuse=rest on a bench
> or landuse=stop on a parking lot.
> landuse should be what the place is for. reservoir is the function
> of the object, which is inscribed when a larger purpose (agriculture,
> energy production, flood management,...)

Counter argument..

Reservoir is for the storage of water, thus a use of the land. It could be named 'water_storage' but the areas mapped would remain the same.

Some reservoirs serve more than one end purpose e.g. flood management and water for human consumption.

> natural=water is not perfect (soe dislike natural for man-made feature)
> but at least it allows to split "there is water" with its function

The key natural is also disliked by me. Water is a land cover .. so could be tagged landcover=water.

Other features in the key natural are either land covers or land forms and could be split into those 2 keys.