[Tagging] Ho to tag the position of objects on highways

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 10:50:34 UTC 2019

For things like manhole or poles, i just tag them at their real position,
as it is not useful to connect them to the highway line which exist mostly
for routing purpose. There are a lot of object that can exist on the area
of a road (a pole, a manhole, a barrier, an underground fire hydrant,...)
so i don't see the problem to tagging them where they are with node (or
line if needed). It is on the ground like that, so even if you map the
highway area, it will just be an object on the highway.

One example when i tried on a small area detailed tagging with area:highway
+ manholes, fire hydrant, every pole,.... :
https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit#map=21/50.67546/4.71756 . The position
of the manholes, hydrants, ... are exactly where they are in reality. I
sometimes map the traffic sign on the side of the road as a separate node,
mainly for 3d purpose, but i suppose it also helps others contributors as
they can see that the maxspeed is given on the sign there. i see that
"physical traffic sign" as a different information that can be useful for
different usages (here more for 3d rendering).

Regards,