[Tagging] wheelchair = hiking

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 15:33:56 UTC 2019

On 18/06/2019 15:28, Andreas Lattmann wrote:
> I would like to propose a new tag (if it is not already there).  The new tag is wheelchair = hiking because in Italy many associations are creating mountain trails for disabled people.
> It would be nice to be able to map these paths.

Would existing tags such as
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness and perhaps
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tracktype also be useful here?

That would allow a wide range of different trail conditions to be be
recorded, not just a simple binary "yes/no".  The problem with a simple
yes or no is that wheelchairs come in all shapes and sizes (especially
those designed to operate outside an urban environment) and some are
likely to be able to handle what would definitely "wheelchair=no" for
most with ease.

Best Regards,

Andy