[Tagging] paid ferry - fee or toll tag

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:49:34 UTC 2019

I asked my wife (native American English speaker) how she would
describe a ferry that wasn't free. She thought of paying a fare first,
for foot ferries, but when pressed suggested that "Toll ferry" was
better than something with "fee"

Searching online, I'm finding results for both "toll ferry" and "fee
ferry" from official ferry website, so it seems both terms are used in
parts of the Egnlish-speaking world.

In Washington State, the regulations refer to "toll ferries" along
with "toll bridges":
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/infodesk/faq/terms/

And this link from England refers to a "toll ferry":
https://www.roads.org.uk/articles/studland-motor-road/making-motor-road

So it looks like this is a reasonable usage based on plain language.