[Tagging] wheelchair = hiking

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:58:03 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 4:26 AM Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:
> After learning that the trail from the Old Faithful viewing area to
> Castle Geyser isn't considered wheelchair-accessible, I've given up on
> the idea that wheelchair-accessibility is something that mere mortals
> are capable of determining.  To my untrained eye, it's nearly perfect:
> four meters wide, quality asphalt paving, no cross slope, and
> effectively flat.  But apparently that "effectively" isn't good enough:
> an elevation gain of five meters over the course of a 700-meter run is
> enough to defeat a wheelchair user.

Where did you find the information that it's inaccessible? What I see
in the listing for the area is:

Upper Geyser Basin - Old Faithful Geyser is accessible from the
visitor center, Old Faithful Inn, and Old Faithful Lodge. An
accessible bike/pedestrian path leads from the visitor center 1.5
miles to Morning Glory Pool (3 miles round trip). This path is also
accessible from the Lower Yellowstone General Stores downhill from the
Old Faithful Inn. Castle Geyser and Crested Pool are only 0.2 miles
from this point. This access also reduces the round-trip distance to
Morning Glory Pool to 2.4 miles.

If the trail is accessible all the way to Morning Glory Pool, then
surely it's accessible on the much shorter distance to Castle Geyser.