[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:insurance:health

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 06:17:17 UTC 2019

5) insurance:health

The proposal suggests values of "no", "public", "private" and "unknown".

Most of these values are not very helpful in most countries.

"insurance:health=no" might be useful in the rare instance that a
private clinic or facility does not directly accept any form of health
insurance for payment, however this is rare.

"insurance:health=public" is not very specific. This might be
sufficient in a country where there is only one public,
government-administered insurance plan. However, here in Indonesia
there are 2 common public insurance plans in my province, so it would
be much more useful to use the name of the insurance as the value, eg
"insurance:health=BPJS" and "insurance:health=Papua_Sehat". In the USA
there is Medicare and various local versions of Medicaid in each
state, in addition to hmo-managed Medicare and Medicaid plans.

"insurance:health=private" is even less useful. I don't think this tag
is helpful at all, because each private insurance plan is different.
Similarly, "insurance:health=unknown" should not be used, because it
doesn't provide any information.

This suggests a problem for counties like the USA or Germany where
there are dozens or hundreds of health insurance companies with many
different health plans, each of which may be accepted by a different
list of physicians and health facilities. Would a USA hospital be
tagged with a list of 100 different insurance company and plan
combinations? This would be hard to manage and maintain by most
openstreetmap mappers.

-Joseph Eisenberg M.D.