[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:staff_count:nurses

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 08:27:23 UTC 2019

'I would think that the bed count would be a reasonable guide for the
staffing levels.'

I agree, this is a useful and easier to maintain number that shows the
capacity of the inpatient service at a hospital, and it would be
easier to check than the number of nurses.

On 6/20/19, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> should be something that can be reasonably verified.
>

> On 20/06/19 16:13, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> 2) "staff_count:nurses="
>>
>> *A. Source of information for this tag?
>>
>> How should individual mappers find out the number of nurses at a
>> healthcare facility? If this information is imported from an external
>> source, how can it be kept up-to-date?
>>
>> Most clinics in the USA do not show a list of nurses who work at the
>> facility. While large hospitals may provide this information to the
>> government, it may not be easy to find.
>>
>> Here in Indonesia there is often an organizational chart at the clinic
>> which shows the staff who are supposed to work at the facility, but
>> often only 1 or 2 or 0 of these staff members will actually be in the
>> clinic on any given week. Sometimes they have been gone all year
>>
>> *B. Total staff or average number each day?
>>
>> Should this number be the total number of nurses employed at the
>> facility or the total who are working each day?
>>
>> *C. RNs, CNAs, NPs, Midwives?
>>
>> In some countries there are many types of nurses. For example in the
>> USA there are RNs (Registered Nurses), CNAs (certified nursing
>> assistants), NPs (Nurse Practitioners), Nurse midwives, etc. - and
>> here in Indonesia there are midwives, official nurses, and lower-level
>> nursing care providers.
>>
>> Which of these categories is to be included in the number of nurses?
>>
>> -Joseph Eisenberg M.D.
>>
>> On 6/20/19, Mhairi O'Hara <mhairi.ohara at hotosm.org> wrote:
>>> Hello Tagging Mailing List,
>>>
>>> We would like to bring your attention and comments on the proposal for
>>> the
>>> staff_count:doctors and staff_count:nurses tags, which helps identify the
>>> number of doctors and nurses at a given health facility [1][2]. The
>>> operational_status tag, which has been proposed before and I would like
>>> highlight again, as this is used to document an observation of the
>>> current
>>> functional status of a mapped feature (i.e. health facility) [3]. The
>>> health_amenity:type tag is also being proposed, as this indicates what
>>> type
>>> of speciality medical equipment is available at the health facility [4]
>>> and
>>> the final tag is insurance:health which describes the type of health
>>> insurance accepted at a health facility [5].
>>>
>>> Some of these are already in use but have never been formally accepted,
>>> or
>>> properly described as to how they should be applied, which we would like
>>> try and achieve if possible for the Healthsites.io project. Please take a
>>> look at the proposal pages on the OSM Wiki, as well as the Global
>>> Healthsites Mapping Project page [2] which is at the core of the recent
>>> work focused on creating a health facility data model. We look forward to
>>> discussing these proposals on the respective Wiki discussion pages.

>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:staff_count:doctors
>>> [2]
>>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:staff_count:nurses
>>> [3]