[Tagging] paid ferry - fee or toll tag

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:17:09 UTC 2019

On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 at 01:33, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Oxford Dictionary says
>
> Toll : A charge payable to use a bridge or road.

Yep.  Also, in the UK, carries legal implications.  Legislation is required
to require tolls on a
public highway.

Fee : A payment made to a professional person or to a professional or
> public body in exchange for advice or services.

That's how I'd use it.  Of course, ferries provide a ferry service, so fee
could be used.  But I'd go
with something else: fare.  We don't talk of rail tolls or rail fees, we
talk of rail fares.  We don't talk
of air tolls or air fees, we talk of air fares.  From OED online: "The
money paid for a journey on
public transport."

--
Paul