[Tagging] kerb regulations: moving towards a tagging schema?

Emily Eros emily.eros at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 02:38:58 UTC 2019

Hi mailing list,

Kerb/curb management has become a hot topic for city governments and
companies, but there's not really a way to map parking and other
restrictions in OSM. There's been some discussion of the importance and
applications, but not a proposal.

In my day job at SharedStreets, I've been working with city governments and
companies who are interested in having a data standard to communicate about
the kerb/curb, sort of like what GTFS does for transit. So I did some
digging into OSM to see what this currently looks like and how OSM could
also be able to store this regulatory data, if that's something that people
want to map. Since this is really long, I've put it up as a blog post here:
https://medium.com/sharedstreets/openstreetmap-and-curb-regulations-7812ee582a33

I'd love to hear from people about what they think about this as a general
approach.

If there's a group that's interested in getting together to have a
conversation about this in real-time, then we could also put a working
group together, formally or informally.

Best,
Emily